Christmas is my favorite time of the year- especially for the holiday films. Here are some fun facts about classic favorites we have grown to love!
Facts Source: imdb.com
It's A Wonderful Life
It's a Wonderful Life is a beautiful film that highlights what is important in life. Being rich in love and family. Here are some fun facts you may have not known about this film:
1) The gym floor that opens up to reveal a swimming pool was real. It was located at Beverly Hills High School in Los Angeles, CA.
2) James Stewart was nervous about the phone scene kiss between him and Donna Reed, because it was his first on screen kiss since his return to Hollywood after his service in World War 2.
3) A photograph of James Stewart at six months old was donated by his parents, which was included in his fictional home in the film.
4) James Stewart cited George Bailey as being his favorite character he has every played.
5) Before director Frank Capra inherited the film, Cary Grant was originally marked to play the role of George Bailey.
6) The film only took 90 days to film,
7) Despite having been set around Christmas time, it was filmed during a heat wave.
8) It's A Wonderful Life was Donna Reed's first starring role.
9) The film story spans 26 years. From 1919 to 1945.
10) 42 rings are heard throughout the film. So if Clarence is right by saying " every time a bells rings, an angel gets it's wings, then 42 angels received wings during the film.
A Miracle on 34th Street
1) According to Natalie Wood's biographer, during the shoot the young actress was convinced that Edmund Gwenn was actually Santa Claus.
2) Unbeknownst to most parade watchers, Edmund Gwenn played Santa Claus in the actual Macy's Day parade held on November 28th, 1946.
3) The cast and crew were unanimous in their opinion of Edmund Gwenn, they loved him!. Many people said he was jolly and kind in person as well!
4) Valentine Davies gt the idea for the script while struggling through Christmas shopping crowds, trying to find a present for his wife. The commercialism he saw made him wonder what the real Santa Claus would make of it all.
5) The scenes at Macy's were shot on location at the main New York store on 34th street itself.
1) White Christmas was the third of three films that featured Bing Crosby's song "White Christmas". The other two are Holiday Inn and Blue Skies.
2) Even though the character Betty was the elder of the Haynes sisters, Rosemary Clooney was actually seven years younger than Vera-Ellen in real life.
3) White Christmas was the most successful film released in 1954.
4) The film was premiered at the famed Radio City Music Hall in NYC.
1) This was the last film of actress Mae Questel, who's film career began in 1930, as the voice of Betty Boop.
2) Chevy Chase appears in some scenes wearing a navy blue Chicago Bears ball cap. He wears the same Chicago Bears cap throughout all four Vacation movies.
3) Diane Ladd, the actress who played Chevy Chase's mother, Nora, is eight ears older than Chevy Chase.
1) When Irving Berlin won an Oscar for his song "White Christmas" from this movie, he became the first artist to present himself with an Academy Award.
2) Until 1997, "White Christmas" was the best selling music single ever. It was passed at that time by "Goodbye, English Rose," the Elton John rework of "Candle in the Wind" done for Princess Diana's funeral. These two songs still rank #1 and #2.
3) Kemmons Wilson, who founded the "Holiday Inn" motel chain in 1952, named it after this movie!
4) Marjorie Reynolds's singing was dubbed by Martha Mears.
5) The proceeds from the New York City premiere went to the Navy Relief Society.