1. What is the date for the first day of summer?
Answer: June 21st
2. What Steven Spielberg directed horror film takes place in the summer time that's plot involves a shark tormenting a small cape town?
3. What was the first ice cream flavor?
A. Mint Chocolate Chip
D. Butter Pecan
Answer: B. Vanilla
4. What year was the first beach ball invented?
Answer: C. 1938
5. What is the oldest beach in America?
Answer: Revere Beach in Revere, Massachusetts
6. What is the most top sold item in the summer?
C. Movie Theatre Tickets
Answer: A. Swimsuits
7. What is the birthstone color of July?
Answer: C. Ruby
8. In the heat of the summer, the iron in the Eiffel Tower expands, making the tower grow more than 6 inches. True or False?
9. What U.S. holiday unofficially signifies the end of the US summer season?
Answer: Labor Day
10. The Fourth of July signifies which historical event in U.S. history?
Answer: The signing of the Declaration of Independence
11. Salt Water Taffy was created accidentally. True or False?
Fun Fact: Legend has it that Bradley's candy store became flooded during a major storm in 1883. His entire stock of taffy became soaked with water from the Atlantic Ocean, so he began to call it "salt water taffy" as a joke.
12. What famous Walt Disney character's first words were "hot dog"?
Answer: Mickey Mouse
BLOCKBUSTER FILM TRIVIA:
Hollywood is known to release smash hits during the summer time, thus getting dubbed " Summer Blockbusters". Test your film buffs with these fun questions!
1. The artist formerly known as "Prince" composed music for the soundtrack of what 1989 superhero film?
Answer: B. Batman
2. Bruce Willis turned down the lead role in what 1990 double-Oscar-winning film starring his wife at the time, Demi Moore?
3. What famous rock n roll singer was offered a role in the film "Grease"?
Answer: Elvis Presley
(The role eventually went to Frankie Avalon)
4. What well-known actor auditioned for the role of Marty McFly in Back to the Future?
A. Brad Pitt
B. Johnny Depp
C. Matt Damn
D. Mario Lopez
Answer: B. Johnny Depp
5. Pirates of the Caribbean's main hero's name is Captain John Sparrow? True or False?
Answer: False. Captain Jack Sparrow
6. This 1997 film stars Julia Roberts as a woman who tries to stop her best friend from marrying someone. What is the name of this film?
Answer: My Best Friend's Wedding
DID YOU KNOW?
* Babies born in the summer are less likely to become CEOs. Because summer babies are typically the youngest children in each school class, their relative immaturity can affect the quality of their educations.
*In Ancient times, the Pagans celebrated midsummer with bonfires. It was their belief that the crops would grow as high as a couple could jump across the fire.
*The first Olympic games in the modern era were the 1896 Summer Olympics.
*July, often the hottest summer month in the Northern Hemisphere, is National Ice Cream Month.
* Many believe that crime rates increase during the summer. However, during the winter more criminals are likely to steal cars and Christmas presents left in cars spiking crime rates.
* Summer vacation didn't always exist. Before the Civil War, kids would have off during the spring to assist in planting and during the fall harvest while most schools in urban areas were year-round. Having summer off didn't start until the early 20th century.
* According to the CDC, kids typically gain weight over the summer because they become less active, are more likely to have an inconsistent sleep schedule like they normally do on "school nights" and tend to eat more junk food.
Make sure to check out our other blogs and shop for more fun resources!
FOLLOW US ON FB: Our groups include:
Activity Director's Ask and Share by My Activity Resources
Activity Director's Cooking Club by My Activity Resources
Activity Professionals Help Wanted by My Activity Resources
Activity Calendar Swap by My Activity Resources